So the theimpossibleproject.com website is up and running. The main points are:-
- Polaroid is out of the film business and will be pursuing digital technology from now on.
- A new company, Impossible bv, has been founded “to re-invent and re-start production of analog INTEGRAL FILM for vintage Polaroid cameras.“
- The company has acquired all of the film equipment from Polaroid at the Enschede factory and has secured a 10 year lease on the factory buildings.
- It looks like they have hired back some Polaroid engineers.
- They write “The Impossible mission is NOT to re-build Polaroid Integral film but (with the help of strategic partners) to develop a new product with new characteristics, consisting of new optimised components, produced with a streamlined modern setup.“
- The new films will not be sold under the Polaroid name.
From the web site, it looks like Harman Technology (makers of Ilford film and paper) is supporting the project.
You can read the rest of it on the website but it is definitely an interesting & exciting turn of events.